What is a Web Ring?
The Aviary Ring
A web ring is a group of sites linked together through the ring's table (our table is seen at the bottom of this page). Using the table, visitors to the ring can visit the different sites. For the visitors, it's a great way to find sites on a subject that interests them. For the sites, it's a great way to get visitors looking for pages just like yours!
What is the Aviary Ring?
The Aviary Ring is a webring based on the subject of breeding birds. So long as your site is based on that subject, you probably are welcome to join! To give you an idea of what we're after, though, here's some of the different kinds of sites in the ring:
How do I join the ring?
- Bird breeder sites, put up by the breeder for the purpose of advertising their business and their birds for sale.
- Bird classifieds sites, where breeders can buy, sell, and trade birds.
- Bird supply sites, especially those selling breeder's supplies such as brooders, incubators, syringes, hand-feeding formula etc.
- Informational sites with articles or information on breeding birds of any type.
- Others?!? We really are very open, just so long as it has something to do with the breeding and raising of birds!
First, you must meet the two simple requirements: you must have a website, and the website must have something to do with breeding birds. Once you've got that covered, follow these steps:
1) Join the queue by filling out The Form. You will be assigned a ring ID number; this is important. You also should be able to remember your password because you will probably need it eventually. Your site is not yet in the ring; the queue is just a holding area where your site will stay until you have the ring's table up & running on your site.And that's it! You're in the ring, and visitors can get to you through the ring. Want to know how many visitors you're recieving from the ring? Want to know how popular your site is compared to the other ring sites? Visit the Ring Stats Page!
2) When you're done filling out The Form, you will be sent to a page which has the HTML fragment for the ring's table. You will also be automatically emailed after you fill out The Form, and this email will also have the HTML fragment in it. It will have your ring ID number where it should be. Copy this, and paste it into your website's HTML. Please DO NOT copy & paste the table's HTML from this page's table, because this page's table has this page's ID number in it. You will have your own ID number, and that number has to be in your HTML for the ring to be a complete "circle" as it should be.
Where should you put the table?
I have one rule about where you put the table: it must be where I can easily find it! Please do not "hide" the table somewhere in your website without giving me, and your website visitors, some idea of where it is. The best place for it is on your main page, or the page you entered into The Form. If it is not there, it should be on a clearly marked webrings page which is linked to from the main page. IF I CAN'T FIND THE TABLE, I CAN'T ADD YOUR SITE TO THE RING.
3) Don't forget the image! See the graphic in the table? That doesn't just get there automatically. For it to appear on your table, it also has to be uploaded onto your website. To save it to your hard drive, right-click on your mouse on a PC or click and hold it for a sec on a Mac; this will bring up a menu from which you can choose "Save Image As" or some such thing. Once the image is saved to your hard drive, you will have to upload it to your webspace in the same manner in which you would upload any other image or file.
4) You're in the queue and you've got the table up and running on your site? Great! That's just about it. Generally I check the queue every few days and add the sites that are ready. If I don't add yours within a week, or if you just want to let me know that your site is ready, feel free to email me. Once I add you to the ring, you will get an email stating that you've been added and reminding you of your ID number and password.
5) One last thing! If you ever move your site, or if your site ever goes down, please change your entry in the ring! You can also delete yourself from the ring if your site goes down or if you just decide that you don't want to be in the ring anymore. To make any of these changes, or to change your entry's description, go to the Site Edit Page.
Want to Join?